Paddling & Hiking Ontario's Southern Shield CountryBook - 2005
A valuable guide to memorable excursions.
The single-day excursions in this book explore the southern part of Ontario's rugged shield country. Combining hiking and paddling in equal measure, these wilderness trips are designed to return to their starting points so that no car shuttling is required. The paddling is entirely flatwater, with only an occasional gentle current to navigate.
Portages are infrequent and generally short. The book also suggests alternative routes for those seeking a more strenuous outing.
Trips featured include:
- Frontenac Provincial Park
- Bon Echo Provincial Park
- The Achray Region
- Silent Lake Provincial Park
- Petroglyphs Provincial Park
- Algonquin Park
- The Frost Center
- Massasauga Provincial Park
- Grundy Lake Provincial Park
- Kilarney Provincial Park
- Mississagi Provincial Park
- And a taste of Lake Superior: Agawa's Rocks, Bald Head and Orphan Lake, Gargantua's Bays, Capes and Islands, Old Woman Bay and Brûlé Harbor.
A guide to single day canoe and hiking excursions in accessible parts of Ontario's Canadian Shield areas. Excursions are appropriate for novices, though alternatives for more experienced outdoor folk are suggested.
From the critics
Try searching for Paddling & Hiking Ontario's Southern Shield Country to see if PPL owns related versions of the work.