Tour of MGM's Culver City Studio Ca. 1925Unknown - 1925
MGM, one of the Hollywood studio system's Big Five studios, began in 1912 as a chain of movie theaters and then acquired three companies (Metro, Goldwyn, and Mayer), producing the first MGM film in 1924. By the mid-1930s, MGM's 117-acre campus in Culver City employed 4,000, boasted 23 sound stages and produced 40 features per year. The Big Five studios were fully-integrated companies, controlling the creation, distribution, and exhibition of their films. Collectively the Big Five owned 25 percent of all movie theater seats. In an antitrust action in 1949, the Big Five were forced to sell off their movie theater businesses, thus ending Hollywood's studio system.
Publisher: [Place of publication not identified] : , WPA Film Library, , 
Copyright Date: ©1925
Characteristics: video file,rda 1 online resource (1 video file (1 min., 22 sec.)) : sound